- A newly developed Canon 1.5-inch, 14.3 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with the DIGIC 5 Image Processor creates Canon's HS SYSTEM for outstanding low-light performance up to ISO 12800.
- Full range of shooting and recording modes including 14-bit RAW + JPEG, as found in Canon DSLR cameras for the ultimate creative control.
- Shoot beautiful 1080p Full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button; zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output.
- 4x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer, plus a 28mm Wide-Angle Lens delivers exceptional image quality and allows you to capture more in your frame.
- Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the shooting condition.
- Bright 3.0-inch Vari-Angle PureColor System LCD with 922,000 dots for shooting at a variety of angles plus an optical viewfinder.
- High-Speed Burst HQ allows for continuous capture at a maximum of 6 frames* while maintaining superb image.
- Compatible with Canon Speedlite flashes for additional creative lighting options.
- Mode Dial and Front Dial provide intuitive manual adjustment.
- High Dynamic Range scene mode combines multiple shots into one picture showing greater image detail.
Image Quality Never Before Seen in a Compact Camera.
Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor
The latest-generation Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor brings phenomenal increases in processing speed and power. Improved chip architecture and algorithms deliver greatly expanded functionality with further refinement in image quality. Improved noise reduction produces clearer images when shooting in low light at high ISO speeds. Enhanced i-Contrast performance adjusts differences between light and dark areas to achieve even more natural-looking results. The faster processing speed also results in faster continuous shooting capability. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor also makes possible a new, highly advanced automatic white balance system. Whereas conventional white balance makes an overall adjustment based on a single type of light source, the new Canon Multi-Area White Balance analyzes several areas of the image to determine whether different adjustments are needed, for example, for the main subject and the background.
Canon 1.5-inch, 14.3 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
Canon engineers developed a sensor for PowerShot G1 X digital camera that is nearly the size of an EOS DSLR camera's APS-C sized sensor, and built with a similar pixel structure - each pixel site is larger, allowing more light to be captured - giving the PowerShot G1 X a completely different level of image quality than compact cameras that have come before it. At 1.5 inches, the sensor is approximately 6.3 times larger than that of the PowerShot G12 digital camera. This heightened degree of sensitivity, along with 14.3 Megapixels, delivers several distinct advantages. Noise is dramatically reduced at high ISO speeds for clear low-light and nighttime shooting. Resolution at low ISO speeds is incredibly rich and precise. And, most atypically for a compact camera, the PowerShot G1 X digital camera allows you to create the intensely beautiful background blur that is the hallmark of DSLR cameras.
APS-C sensor used in Canon EOS DSLR cameras
Canon HS SYSTEM
The Canon HS SYSTEM lets you take bright, clear photos in an even wider range of shooting situations. Beautiful low-light shots are possible with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlight and shadow areas. The system is the result of two technologies brought together in PowerShot cameras: a high-sensitivity imaging sensor, which is able to capture more light; and the DIGIC Image Processor, which actively reduces noise with high-speed image processing. The 14.3 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor in the PowerShot G1 X incorporates advanced light reception technology that enhances sensitivity. The new DIGIC 5 Image Processor provides a major boost in noise reduction, expanding the usable range to an amazingly high ISO 12800. The HS SYSTEM thus lets you use higher shutter speeds to capture clearer images with reduced noise and blur.
Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 4x Optical, 4x Digital, and 16x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer
Image Capture Device
14.3 Megapixels, 1.5-inch CMOS
Approx. 15.0 Megapixels
Approx. 14.3 Megapixels
15.1 (W) - 60.4mm (T) (35mm film equivalent: 28 (W) - 112mm (T)
Normal: 1.3 ft. (40cm) - infinity (W), 4.3 ft. (1.3m) - infinity (T)
Auto: 7.9 in. (20cm) - infinity (W), 2.8 ft. (85cm) - infinity (T)
Macro: 7.9 in. - 2.3 ft. (20-70cm) (W), 2.8 ft. - 5.2 ft. (85cm - 1.6m) (T)
Real-image zoom viewfinder
3.0-inch TFT color LCD (Vari-angle type with wide-viewing angle)
Approx. 922,000 dots
Aperture and Shutter
f/2.8 (W) - f/5.8 (T)
- The following f/numbers are available in Av or M:
W: f/2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.6, 6.3, 7.1, 8.0, 9.0, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16
T: f/5.8, 6.3, 7.1, 8.0, 9.0, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16
- Differs depending on the zoom position
60-1/4000 sec. (Total shutter speed range)
- Shutter speed range differs depending on the shooting mode
Shutter speeds available in Tv and M:
60, 50, 40, 30, 25, 20, 15, 13, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3.2, 2.5, 2, 1.6, 1.3, 1, 0.8, 0.6, 0.5, 0.4, 0.3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/8, 1/10, 1/13, 1/15, 1/20, 1/25, 1/30, 1/40, 1/50, 1/60, 1/80, 1/100, 1/125, 1/160, 1/200, 1/250, 1/320, 1/400, 1/500, 1/640, 1/800, 1/1000, 1/1250, 1/1600, 1/2000,1/2500, 1/3200, 1/4000 (Units: sec.)
Auto*, ISO 100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/ 4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800 (When in P mode) *Optimal ISO speed is automatically set depending on the shooting mode.
Light Metering Method
Evaluative*1, Center-weighted average, Spot*2
*1 Facial brightness is evaluated (Face Detect AE) in Face Detect. *2 Fixed to Center, linked to AF frame
Exposure Control Method
AE Lock (not available when shooting movies)
+/-3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
White Balance Control
Auto*, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Underwater, Custom1, Custom2
*Facial color is evaluated in Face AiAF (Face Detect WB). Adjusts the white balance separately for the main subject and the background when the flash fires.
Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off - Facial brightness is also evaluated in Face Detect
1.6-23 ft. (W), 3.3-10.2 ft. (T) (50cm-7.0m (W), 1.0-3.1m (T)) - Image brightness may diminish depending on the shooting distance.
5.0 seconds or less (battery voltage: 7.4 V)
Flash Exposure Compensation
+/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
C1, C2, M, Av, Tv, P, Auto*1, SCN*2, Creative Filters*3, Movie*4
- Shooting movies is possible with the movie button
*1 Smart Auto also available for movies
*2 Movie Digest, Portrait, Landscape, Kids & Pets, Sports, Smart Shutter*5, High-Speed Burst HQ, Handheld Night Scene, Beach, Underwater, Foliage, Snow, Fireworks, Stitch Assist
*3 High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap
*4 Standard, iFrame Movie
*5 Smile, Wink Self-timer, Face Self-timer
My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin, Darker Skin, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color*
* Adjustment of contrast, sharpness, saturation, red, green, blue and skin tone are available. - Not available in RAW and RAW+JPEG
Approx. 10-sec. delay, Approx. 2-sec. delay, Custom*
* Delay time (0 - 15 sec. (in one-second increments), 20/25/30 sec.) and number of shots (1-10 shots (in one-shot increments)) can be specified.
Normal: Approx. 1.9 shots/sec. (in P mode), Approx. 4.5 shots/sec. (in High-speed Burst HQ mode)*
AF: Approx. 0.7 shots/sec. (in P mode)
LV: Approx. 0.7 shots/sec. (in P mode)
- Under conditions where the flash does not fire automatically.
- Differs depending on the zoom position.
* Max. of 6 continuous shots per burst
SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card
Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF (Version 1.1) compliant
Image Recording Format
Normal, Fine, RAW
JPEG Compression Mode
Still Image: Exif 2.3 JPEG, RAW (14 bit, CR2 (Canon Original)) Video: MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio data: Linear PCM (2 channel stereo)) Videos: MOV (Image data: H.264, Audio data: Linear PCM (Stereo))
Number of Recording Pixels
Still Images: [16:9] Large: 4352 x 2448, Medium 1: 3072 x 1728, Medium 2: 1920 x 1080, Small: 640 x 360
[3:2] Large: 4352 x 2904, Medium 1: 3072 x 2048, Medium 2: 1600 x 1064, Small: 640 x 424
[4:3] Large: 4352 x 3264, Medium 1: 3072 x 2304, Medium 2: 1600 x 1200, Small: 640 x 480 RAW: 4352 x 3264
[1:1] Large: 3264 x 3264, Medium 1: 2304 x 2304, Medium 2: 1200 x 1200, Small: 480 x 480
[4:5] Large: 2608 x 3264, Medium 1: 1840 x 2304, Medium 2: 960 x 1200, Small: 384 x 480
Videos: [iFrame Movie] 1280 x 720 (30 fps*1)
[Miniature Effect] 1280 x 720*2 / 640 x 480*2
[Other than the above*3] 1920 x 1080 (24 fps*4), 1280 x 720 (30 fps*1) / 640 x 480 (30 fps*1)
*1 Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps. *2 Shooting: 6 fps, 3 fps, 1.5 fps Playback: 30 fps*1 *3 Movies made in Movie Digest mode: 640 x 480 (30 fps*1) only. *4 Actual frame rate is 23.976 fps.
Number of Recordable Images